Saturday, May 6, 2017

A Mix of Fairy Tale Cocktail-Chapter 20

The door of the castle finally broke open. SkullMaster and Virginia stared at the darkness before them and were quite apprehensive. Everything was quiet. Too quiet. They can't be too careful.

"Stay beside me, love," SkullMaster brought Virginia close to him and grabbed a nearby candelabra. He had no idea that he had actually grabbed Rusty who had been waiting there for him to take her. As soon as she felt his grasp on her body, she let out a loud shout:

"NOW!"

Within seconds, SkullMaster and Virginia found themselves surrounded by animated objects of all kinds—wardrobes, chest trunks, clothes hanger, tables, chairs, you name it. All of them were alive and seemed pretty threatening. SkullMaster noticed Rusty in his hand and flung her onto the solid ground. Her boyfriend caught her just in time and regained composure almost immediately.

"Ah, the legendary cursed servants of The Beastess," SkullMaster grinned, unperturbed by the angry looks on the animated objects' faces. "I've heard of you. Take me to your Mistress. I am here to receive my dues."

"What proof do you have that you are the true heir of the King of the West?" Virgil demanded.

"This is the proof," SkullMaster brandished the ring on his hand and the rose. "I have the ring and the rose. Now take me to your Mistress so that I can take whatever is rightfully mine."

"How do we know that you didn't steal from the real heir? You could be just someone who's power-hungry enough to kill for the ring and the rose!"

"Enough! I'm tired of this childish bickering! If you won't let me meet your Mistress, then I shall have to go to her myself! Step aside!"

"Not without a fight," Rusty said as she braced herself, followed by the rest of the animated objects.
"Very well," SkullMaster said as he clicked his fingers. "As you wish."

Without warning, the smoky entities doubled, no, tripled their amount and started charging towards the animated objects. The fight began. Butt-kicking and face-punching ensured. The wolves also charged in and attacked them, breaking them to pieces with their sharp claws and fangs. And while the battle continued, SkullMaster and Virginia slipped up to the stairs and went towards the East Wing where The Beastess was.

Max could hear the loud commotion inside. They looked at each other and nodded, then made a dash into the castle. They were shocked and horrified to see SkullMaster's henchmen and women and the wolves from the forest wrecking the hell out of the animated objects. With a loud yell, Max brought up his sword and started hacking at the wolves. The rest of the gang joined in—Bea with her axe, Felix with his sledgehammer, Norman with his huge bulky sword, WarMonger with his dagger and his iguana friend Thor, Drakeb with his bow and arrows and Blake with his trident. A hectic battle started as swishes, bangs and blasts could be heard. The surviving animated objects helped out and soon, the enemies were taken down. Rusty leapt onto Max and hugged his neck.

"Little Master! I knew you would come back!"

"Glad to see you too, Rusty," Max replied as he set her down. "Where's SkullMaster?"

"You mean that ugly purple bonehead?" Virgil asked grudgingly. "That fiend just barged in claiming that he was the heir to the King of the West and is probably harassing our poor Mistress to hand in the throne!"

"The Beastess!" Max exclaimed and made a dash towards the East Wing. The rest followed suite, picking up the animated objects that were too battered to move in their hands.

"The King of the West?" Norman asked. "That kinda sounds familiar. What's it about?"

"Let me explain..." Virgil said as he started the legend of the King of the West while they made their way to the East Wing.

"The Beastess?"

The Beastess turned around. The first thing she noticed was Virginia. She looked so different in the attire SkullMaster had gotten her. She was still her old self, with the exact blonde hair his love Max had inherited. The sight of her reminded her of that fateful day Max decided to trade himself for her freedom and the day that started to change her life. But there was something different about her eyes. So trance-like, so dark and black...What was wrong with her? Had she been put under a spell or some sort? She only stopped looking when SkullMaster had approached her.

"The Beastess, I presume?"

"It is I. Who wants to know?" The Beastess replied, towering over him. SkullMaster smiled; he was unperturbed by her size and menacing copper-brown eyes.

"You don't seem to be as tough as the legend said. Now, please lead me to my throne."

"Your throne? On what grounds?"

"On the account that I have the ring and the rose."

So saying, he showed the ring and the rose to her. The Beastess was slightly taken aback. This was the true heir of the King of the West? This was the heir that she had waited for so long? This was the heir whose castle she had guarded for such a long time? This was the heir that had caused her to endure this damned curse for almost more than 10 years? She was expecting someone who would look decent but this was ridiculous. But he had the ring and rose and he had come all the way to this castle. He has to be the heir. The Beastess heaved a sigh.

"Very well. Come with me."

The Beastess walked out of the East Wing and led them down the hallway where there were more gargoyles and disfigured statues around. She came to a dead end and looked around, as if looking for some hidden switch or something. She soon found it hidden behind one of the tattered paintings and pulled the lever. A secret door opened on the wall and a flight of stairs lowered itself towards the floor. She continued to lead them up the stairs to higher ground. She stopped at a dark room that had no door. She lit a candle at the side of the opening and almost automatically the rest of the candles in the room lit brightly. It wasn't a room, but a huge hall decorated magnificently with jewels and precious stones. There were paintings of portraits of all the past Kings of the West and an empty frame at the end of the line of paintings where portrait of the true heir would be. The floor was made of marble and the ceilings were covered with paintings of the great deeds done by the great Kings of the past, including a few mythical creatures added here and there to support the legend. At the end of the hall were the thrones of the King and Queen of the West. SkullMaster beamed at the magnificent sight before him.

"Here is your throne, Your Majesty. There is another room next door where you have to lay the rose on the altar to break the seal of the castle and return it to its original glory. Your rule will start from there."

The Beastess stepped aside as soon as they reached the end of the hall. SkullMaster's hand trembled slightly as he touched the handrest of the throne. There it wasa, right in front of him, ready for him to be claimed. He had worked so hard for this. He had finally gotten what he deserved. Finally, the throne of the King of the West was his! He settled down on the throne and savoured the feeling of the soft cushion. Virginia joined him at her throne, smiling as she lay her hand on his, congratulating him for his success.

"Welcome home, Your Majesty. May you rule the world fairly and wisely. My work here is done."

"Yes, of course," SkullMaster said as he stared at the ring. "And my first command...is to let you be annihilated."

The Beastess was taken aback. After all she had done, the King was going to kill her? How could he? She had guarded this castle for so long and waited patiently for him to return and this is how he repay her? This is not what the King of the West would do! This wasn't the King! This wasn't the true heir! She was going to die by the hands of a power-hungry tyrant...

"STOP RIGHT THERE!"

The Beastess, SkullMaster and Virginia turned to see Max standing at the entrance of the hall. The Beastess's heart skipped a beat at upon seeing him.

"M...Max..."

"Don't do this, SkullMaster!" Max yelled. "Enough is enough...Uncle Scott."

"Ah, you finally recognized me as your uncle now, eh, sonny boy?" SkullMaster sneered as he got up. "I'm rather surprised to see you alive. And I was wondering when are you gonna figure it out."

"Scott, you have done enough damage," Norman said. "And it's time to face your past."

So saying, Blake made himself seen. SkullMaster was slightly taken aback.

"Blake...No...You're dead..."

"I'm very much alive, Scott, thank you very much," Blake replied. "When are you gonna let bygones be bygones, Scott? It's not that I wanted to be the favourite son. You gonna have to live with the fact that everything that had happened is fate."

"Oh really? Is that what you think? Is that what Mother and Father think? Face it, Blake! Mother and Father never liked me! I have always been the black sheep of the family! Even my real father didn't want to bring me along when he left Mother. As soon as you were born, Mother forgotten all about me. Father never treated me as his own son. Everyone liked you! Everyone loved you! It's time someone liked me instead, like your pretty little ex-wife here, whom you stole from me!"

"Is that why you killed Blake? Is that why you tried to throw him overboard?" Norman asked grudgingly.

"What?" Max and Blake were shocked at this news. Blake has yet to remember that part—the trauma was too much.

"Now where have I seen that face before? Hmm..." SkullMaster pretended to think back, then grinned at Max. "Oh yes, I remember. This is just the way your father looked before he died."

SkullMaster raised the ring to him and it glowed. Max felt a pull at his navel and found himself being dragged by some unseen force towards SkullMaster. He caught him by the throat and said, "And here's my little secret: I killed Blake Deanhart!"

The memory struck Blake right in his brain. The incident on the boat, the night the storm hit their ship, the sight of Scott standing before him with his cold yellow eyes...It all began to come back to him.

"Scott! Why aren't you on the boat! I thought you've gotten on!"

Those eyes. Those cold eyes that continued to stare at him.

"Scott, please! Brother, help me up! Norman will come get us! Help me up!"

The smile of evil on Scott's face as he finally reached over and grabbed his wrists. The malice as he leaned closer to him and hissed those mysterious words.

"Long live the King!"

Scott's hands letting him go...The impact of the sea water as he plummeted further towards his doom...The huge wave that carried him away...The feeling of the sea filling his lungs and the pressure ready to crush his body...Then the blast from the trident as Queen Fridorithia tried to save him...

Blake fell onto his knees as he remembered the cruel deed done to him. His brother...His half-brother whom he loved so much despite his cynical remarks and cold attitude had actually killed him. He finally understood what those last words he hissed to him meant. He was meant for the throne and Scott was jealous. He wanted it all to himself, just like the way he wanted the things he used to have when they were young. He was willing to offer half of his share but Scott didn't want half. He wanted all of it. He was nothing but an unfortunate target of his plans to take whatever was his, including Virginia. He looked up venomously at SkullMaster and hissed in hatred, "How could you, Scott...? You're my brother...! I loved you like my own brother...and yet...you..."

"You remember now, don't you?" SkullMaster smirked. "I wasn't lucky though. When you fell, I fell as well. I almost died if it weren't for an old Wiseman who took me in and nursed me back to health. He saw me as Wiseman material and taught me everything he knew before he died. He was getting older by the minute and I kinda did him a 'favour', God bless his soul."

"You...You monster!" Max tried to grab SkullMaster in vain. "You murderer! You tried to kill my father, and now you're taking my mother against her will! I'm gonna kill you! I'm gonna kill you!"

"Save you breath, boy!" SkullMaster yelled as he threw Max back to his group. "No one can defeat me! No one ever will! It's about time I end this! Minions, attack!"

As soon as he said the word, his ring somehow summoned more smoky henchmen and women to attack them. Even the wolves came back to life in their battered, bloody form from behind and attacked. The battle started all over again, but this time the battle was more brutal than before. Everyone had an injury inflicted on them. Even Norman and Blake, who used to be the best fighter back in the shipping years, were hurt as well.

"Just like old times, eh, Captain Blake?" Norman asked, grinning.

"Just like old times," Blake replied.

"Max, look out!"

Max turned around to see Bea blocking him and a loud slash was heard. He didn't see the incoming wolf that crept from behind him and tried to kill him. Bea saw it and immediately rushed towards him, taking the blow onto herself. Felix quickly came to their aid and bashed the wolf with his sledgehammer.

"Bea...why...?" Max asked as he held Bea in his embrace.

"Because...Because I...I love you..." Bea finally admitted the words she longed to say to him ever since she laid eyes on him for the first time. "I suppose...it's too late to say this but...I had a crush on you...since..."

"No, don't speak! You're hurt real bad!"

"I...had a crush on you...since the first time...I saw you in...school...I wished almost everyday that...you would court me...and take me as your...wife...but it's just wishful thinking...I'm not fit for you...I'm just a carpenter's daughter...I..."

"It's true, Max," Felix confirmed her words. "She had been in love with you since first grade. She begged me to keep it a secret. Sorry I didn't tell you earlier."

"I...I love you...Max...forever..."

Bea soon slumped into his arms, her eyes closed forever. Max was horrified. He began to remember and comprehend everything that Bea had done for him throughout his childhood. All those cover-ups, all those excuses she made for him to keep his Mom from finding out about his sea escapades...it was all for him. Tears began to well up in his blue eyes. All this while, there was someone who love him and yet he was oblivious to the fact. Instead, he went off to chase an unreachable dream. He went off to pursue someone that was never meant for him, and yet his happiness is just right there, screaming at his face. How dumb could he get? He cried as he held Bea close to his chest.

"It's alright, son. She only fainted."

"What...?" Max looked up with his tear-filled eyes as Blake held up his trident to her slash wounds.

"The impact of the wolf's claws was too much for her to bear. She only fainted. I'm going to heal her wounds. Don't worry, she's fine. Just let her sleep."

Max sighed in relief. Bea was alive. She's alive, not dead. Max planted a kiss on her forehead. Once she wakes up, he promised that he would make it up to her properly.

"Dudes," Felix broke the ice. "Where's that boney-faced guy?"

SkullMaster took Virginia's hand and ran towards the room The Beastess had mentioned. It was empty and bare, save the altar and the stained glass window at the end of the room. SkullMaster smiled to himself and turned towards his blushing bride.

"As soon as this rose opens the seal of this castle, you will officially be my bride and my Queen."

"I would love that, my love," Virginia smiled and watched as SkullMaster tentatively laid the rose on the altar.

"NO!"

Before the rose even hit the base of the altar, SkullMaster was pounced on by WarMonger. Somehow, he noticed that his master was trying to get away and followed him. He saw him trying to put the rose on the altar and he knew that it would spell disaster. He drew out his dagger and breathed heavily as he tried to pick up the courage to stab the Master that he had looked up as a father-figure for so long.
"Let my husband go, you filth!" Virginia tried to pull him away from SkullMaster, but WarMonger's body was no match for her.

"Forgive me," WarMonger muttered apologetically and aimed his fist at her abdomen. Virginia choked in her breath and began to puke. She doubled over and hurled out everything that was inside her gut.

"Look, WarMonger..." SkullMaster tried to inch his way from the anger-filled red boy. "Sonny boy, listen to me..."

"No! You listen! All my life I was told that the world is a dark cruel place! But now the only thing I see that is dark and cruel is people like you! I trusted you! You were like a father to me! You told me that no one would ever love a monster like me, but Virginia treated me just like any other human being! You're the monster here, SkullMaster! The only thing that is deformed and ugly is you and your black heart!"

"W...WarMonger...?"

WarMonger spun round. Virginia rubbed her temples and looked up, and the first thing she saw was WarMonger's red body. Somehow, that blow had forced her to vomit the love potion she drank and her mind was finally cleared. Her eyes were back the way they were—the dark sea-blue WarMonger had come to love so much.

"Virginia! You're alright!" WarMonger ran towards her and helped her up. SkullMaster's eyes narrowed in contempt and held out the ring, aiming at them.

"She remembers..."

"No!"

WarMonger quickly picked Virginia in his arms and made a dash towards the stained glass window. He crashed through and found himself on the huge long balcony that led all the way up to the highest roof of the castle. Telling Virginia to hold on tight, he made a dash and jumped off the ledge, holding one of the gargoyles' head and hiding from view. He could hear SkullMaster walking around looking for them. By then, the thunder began to roll and rain was starting to fall.

"Leaving so soon?"

WarMonger and Virginia were caught off guard. Before WarMonger tried to move towards a nearby window that led to one of the rooms in the East Wing, SkullMaster had already discovered them. With his strong arms, he moved quickly towards the end of the balcony, avoiding the blasts from SkullMaster's ring. WarMonger settled Virginia onto the balcony floor and braced himself with his dagger.

"I knew you would risk your to save my blushing bride," SkullMaster hissed. "Just like your mother died trying to save you."

"What?" What was SkullMaster talking about? His mother died? Trying to save him? Before he was able to comprehend what he was saying, SkullMaster blasted the place he was standing and he lost his footing. He quickly grabbed the ledge and stared in horror as SkullMaster towered over him, glaring at him evilly with his yellow eyes. Virginia tried to stop him but he used the magic of the ring to hold her in place. He turned back to WarMonger and aimed the ring at his face.

"And now I'm going to do what I should've done 16 years ago!"

No comments: