Friday, March 10, 2006

Ronald Weasley's Diary-Chp 13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: MY SEAT

Draco’s father came to school again. He was talking to Prof. McGonagall at the corridor and was spinning his cane slowly. Then Prof. McGonagall came into class and asked, “Can you see the words on the blackboard?”

Draco shook his head.

Prof. McGonagall thought for a while, then asked him to change places with Pansy Parkinson at the first row.

Prof. McGonagall then said, “From now on, we are going to change seats every week, so that everyone’s vision would be evenly developed. There’s been an increase in short-sightedness, so everyone have to be careful.”

So every Monday we would change seats. We always laugh during that time, like we’re playing a game of tag or something. But Prof. McGonagall said I didn’t have to change places, and that I stay where I was at the backseat of the last row.

I watched them ‘playing tag’, but I ain’t ‘It’.

Harry Scarface said, “If you can’t see the words on the blackboard, you must say so, otherwise if you get short-sighted, you’d have to wear glasses like me. It’s very troublesome.”

I don’t want to wear glasses, and Mother would never let me. Every time when I drew glasses on the people in my textbooks, she would scold me. She seemed to hate people wearing glasses.

But I never get to change seats. It felt boring.

I wanted to change seats too. Harry Scarface wanted to tell Prof. McGonagall about it, but I shook my head and said, “No, don’t. What if the professor didn’t like it?”

Harry Scarface said, “But that’s your right.”

I don’t know what he meant by ‘my right’. I don’t have anything else in my right besides my arm.
Harry Scarface feared nothing. He went and asked Prof. McGonagall, “Why is Ronald Weasley always at the back?”

Prof. McGonagall asked me, “Can’t you see the words on the board either?”

I dare not say a word.

She went up front and pointed at one of the words, asking, “Can you see this word?”

I couldn’t read that word, so I shook my head.

“Can’t you see or can’t you read?” Prof. McGonagall asked loudly.

I stared really hard at it. It looked like a word, but I just didn’t what it was.

She turned to Harry Scarface and said, “See? No matter where Ronald Weasley sits, the results are the same. He wouldn’t understand the word anyway.”

Harry Scarface took one look at me and sighed. He finally kept quiet.

Prof. McGonagall came over and patted my head, “Don’t you like your seat?”

I said, “They throw rubbish here, yet they simply throw them.”

I didn’t like my seat. There’s a trashcan beside me, and whenever they missed it every time they throw their rubbish, they would ask me to pick it up and throw it for them, and I’d be very busy. Sometimes they throw empty drink packets and when I try to flatten them, the drink inside would squirt out and get my clothes all wet.

“So where do you want to be changed?” Prof. McGonagall asked.

I pointed at the backseat of the first row. Prof. McGonagall laughed.

“But that’s the backseat too.”

I replied, “That seat is closest to the kettle, so I can get water faster.”

Prof. McGonagall laughed again and said, “Why, Ronald, you’re not so dumb after all.”

So Prof. McGonagall allowed me to take turns sitting on the seat near the trashcan and near the kettle. From now on, I get to carry my bags and change seats every Monday. I’m very glad.

No comments: