Friday, March 10, 2006

Ronald Weasley's Diary-Chp 16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: THE THING ABOUT SINGING

Hermione Granger came into class today and said loudly, “Everyone quiet down. I have an important announcement to make.”

She then opened up a piece of paper and read it to the class, “Choir competition. Will be held on the 20th of October. The theme of the song is…”

After finish reading, she looked at us and said, “We must fight and strive hard for the pride and honour of our class, or else we’ll again be the laughing stock of the school, as usual. I’ve discussed to the music teacher about this matter, so starting tomorrow, we’ll be practicing during recess.”

I was glad to hear it. I’m willing to fight and strive hard with Hermione.

But Draco suddenly shouted, “There’s no point of competing! We’ve got a retard here, and it’s a no-brainer that our singing is going to be a comedy gone wrong. Oh, and another thing, since we’re already at it, let’s make that weasel here an actor and star on his own debut ‘Forrest-Ronald Gump’. How’s that for creative?”

What? Me? Acting! I quickly put my hands over my mouth to stop myself laughing. I’ve watched TV and have seen actors way more handsome than me! I can’t be an actor! That’ll be bloody embarrassing!

But Harry Scarface stood up and said, “I’m the one not suitable on stage. Ron can sing, so why can’t he join the choir competition?”

Draco turned to him and asked, “If he suddenly make a scene in the middle of the song, our team would definitely be ruined.”

The whole class started arguing. Again.

Hermione yelled, “QUIET!” She then thought for a while and said, “Let’s vote for it then.”

I’m good at voting. I just have to raise my hand.

Hermione asked, “Those who vote for Ronald to not go on stage raise your hand.”

I raised my hand.

Hermione counted, “1, 2, 3…18, 18 votes. Those who vote for Ronald to go on stage raise your hand.”

I raised my hand again.

Hermione shook her head and said, “You’ve already raise your hand, Ronald. Put it down. OK, 1, 2, 3…12, 12 votes.”

She then widened her eyes and said angrily, “What about the others? There is always someone who has no comments. You seriously don’t care for any class activities now, do you?” She then pointed at Harry Scarface and asked, “Why didn’t you raise your hand, Harry?”

Harry humph-ed and replied, “There is no point in all this voting. I will have no part of this.”

So Hermione said, “18 over 12. Ronald is exempted from the competition.”

Harry stood up and said, “I’ll exempt myself.”

“Fine. I don’t care,” Hermione replied as she walked back to her seat and ignored him.

So every afternoon recess, the whole class would go to the music room to sing. The music room was on the second floor, and if you stand at the corridor, you can hear them practicing.

Harry Scarface and I leaned on the corridor wall. Harry Scarface said, “People stir up discrimination even in this kind of silly singing contest. What a loser!”

I didn’t know what he was talking about. I know that the TV often talked about public nation and private nation and all sorts of other nation I don’t understand, but to think that there is a ‘discrimee nation’, wow! Our world has gotten more and more advanced!

Actually I do know how to sing, but I can’t sing out loud. If I did that, Ginny would say, “You trying to wake the dead or what?” Dead people never wake up, but Ginny is too young to know that, so I can’t do anything about it.

I heard our classmates’ singing all the way from the second floor’s music room. I hummed quietly along with them.

Harry Scarface looked at me, laughed and hugged my arm, saying, “Sing it louder. I like listening to you. Sing it for me.”

I was just playing around, ‘coz I didn’t know what they were singing. I simply hummed what I just heard.

Harry Scarface didn’t care. He laid his head on my shoulder and hummed along with me. He sounded very bad, but I didn’t laugh.

We both hummed together out loud.

No comments: