Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Ronald Weasley's Diary-Chp 7

CHAPTER SEVEN: A USELESS PAPER

Whenever there’s a class meeting, it would definitely be noisy.

Hermione had her hands on her waist, stood in front of the class and asked, “Then how else do you want it then?”

Prof. McGonagall was at her desk marking our books and paid no attention to us. During class meetings, she never bothered and asked us to solve our own problems. So we often argue. In the end, Prof. McGonagall would say, “One more argument and it’s curtains for this meeting.” And Hermione would follow up and say, “Alright, just do what I say.”

And that was the end of it.

Harry Scarface would say, “This is such a joke. What an insufferable know-it-all.”

I don’t know what joke Hermione said—there’s nothing funny about it—but I listen to every word she says, and whenever we needed to vote for something, I would always raise my hand.

Just like today, she was asking, “Those who vote for Ronald Weasley to be the Student of the Month raise your hand.”

I quickly raised my hand.

Draco exclaimed, “Thick-faced weasel! You dare vote for yourself?”

Hermione exclaimed even louder, “And why not? Ronald Weasley had been carrying water for us, sweeping the floor, taking out the garbage and picking up after us for the entire month now. If he doesn’t deserve this award, who does?”

She was actually talking about me.

Hermione continued, “The student council had laid down the line that every class must have a candidate to receive the award next Monday’s assembly. We have to decide on one today.”

When no one else said anything, Hermione said, “Alright, just do what I say,” and it was done.

“But that weasel is a retard. Can he even go up the stage to receive the award?” Draco asked the whole class, “If he were to pee on stage, do we need the Headmaster to help change his nappies?”

The whole class was laughing.

I was a little angry. He may meant it to be funny but in truth, I don’t wear nappies anymore.

Harry Scarface banged the table loudly, “Objection! Objection! Verbal assault on fellow classmate! Guilty!”

Hermione went up to Draco and pointed at him, saying, “Alright, if you think you’re so smart, you go ahead and take Ronald Weasley’s place on stage for the award.”

Draco immediately shook his head and shouted, “No way! Why should I go help the weasel get his lousy award?”

They began to argue loudly. Prof. McGonagall looked up and scolded, “What’s all the fuss about here?”

Hermione immediately reported, “We picked Ronald Weasley to be the Student of the Month and asked for Draco to represent for the award.”

Prof. McGonagall thought for a while and said, “Why don’t you let Ronald have a try?”

They then told me to go up front, pretend to receive a piece of drawing paper from Hermione and bow. I wanted to laugh out loud, but I can’t. I held out my hand real straight, took the paper and put it under my left arm like Hermione taught me before bowing down to her like a chicken.

“Just like that, Ronald. It’s a no-brainer,” Hermione said.

That Monday assembly, Hermione took me in front of the stage, lining up with everyone else. She told me, “Later when the council president calls your name, go up there and do what I’ve taught you to do, OK?”

During the hoisting of the flag I was sweating like mad. But I’ve waited like forever, yet still the president didn’t call my name. I keep hearing him say, “First Year-Slytherdor, First Year-Slytherdor. No one? Has he or she called in sick or something? Let the class monitor represent him or her then.”

Then I saw Hermione running up the stage to take the award. I smiled at her.

Maybe they’ve changed the vote, but it’s OK.

Back in class, Hermione gave me the piece of paper she took from the Headmaster and said, “You should’ve gone up when they called for First Year-Slytherdor. Oh, never mind. Here’s your award.”

That piece of paper had a lot of words on it. I didn’t like it. Drawing paper is much better. At least I can draw stuff on both sides of it.

No comments: