Saturday, March 11, 2006

Ronald Weasley's Diary-Chp 17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: EYESIGHT CHECK-UP

I know that eyesight check-up is about checking to see if our eyes are still useful, and I know during check-up we have to use our hand to point everywhere. So when the nurse pointed at the picture on the wall, I started pointing.

First, I pointed up, then down, then up and down again.

But the nurse Madam Pomfrey looked rather angry. She glared at me and said, “Do you honestly know how to point? You’re driving me up the wall.”

I frowned as I thought. I saw everyone pointing up and down. Oh, I almost forgot, they also pointed sideways. So I did the same thing.

But Hermione came to Madam Pomfrey and said something to her ear. Madam Pomfrey then threw her round stick and glared at Hermione, saying, “Well, why didn’t you say so? You made me waste half of my day here!”

To tell the truth, I’ve pointed stuff before when I was in grade school. That time there were teachers to help me, and whenever I got it right, they would clap their hands and said, “Well done, Ronald!” and then give me a boiled sweet. But now I’ve forgotten how to point, and I didn’t feel like having a boiled sweet. I’d been standing so long and my arm was sore from pointing and I’m friggin’ tired, but Madam Pomfrey keeps saying that I got it wrong. Even I was as angry as her.

Hermione took in front of the picture and said, “Ronald, can you please be a little smarter just this once? You’re holding up everyone and you won’t even get by tomorrow.” She then pointed at a circle and said, “See? Can you see an open hole?”

I replied, “Yes.”

“Where?”

I pointed at the open hole on the picture.

“That’s right,” Hermione looked happy. “Now you just point at wherever the open hole is and you’re all done.”

That was bloody hell easy.

Madam Pomfrey drank some water and asked, “Are we good to go?”

Hermione nodded and said, “No problem. Give it a try.”

She pulled me behind a yellow line and told me to use a stick to cover one of my eyes.

Madam Pomfrey pointed at the first picture and said, “Where is the hole?”

I ran towards the picture and pointed at the hole.

“No, Ronald,” Hermione pulled me back behind the yellow line. “You have to stand here and point. You cannot run all the way there.”

But it’s so far away from the picture. How do you expect me to point? I didn’t dare say that, ‘coz I’m afraid of making Hermione and Madam Pomfrey angry. I gave it a long thought and then pointed up.
Hermione sounded relief and glad when she said, “Finally you understood something out of this!”

Actually it was just a guess. That picture was just too far away and I didn’t have long hands. They might as well give me a stick while they’re at, and maybe I might just be able to point it out. The stick had to be very long, maybe as long as that pole we use to clean windows.

Madam Pomfrey pointed again at the second picture. I was really pissed. I wanted to go over and point at the open hole for them to see, I know I can see it there. But they wanted me to stand behind the yellow line. They’re so weird. So I made another wild guess and point sideways.

“Are you sure?” Madam Pomfrey asked me.

I made it sure for her.

But Hermione wouldn’t let me make sure. She sounded fierce when she said, “You gotta be sure before you point, Ronald.”

Then let me bloody hell point at the real open hole of the picture! They just wouldn’t let me.

Finally Madam Pomfrey wrote something on a piece of paper, tore it into half and gave that half to me, saying, “You failed your eyesight check-up. Go ask your mother to get you some glasses.”

But Mother hates people wearing glasses. What am I to do? When I went back to class I showed my piece of paper to Harry Scarface. He chuckled for a while and said, “You don’t need glasses, Ron. I know your eyes are fine, you just needed a more special kind of check-up.”

But Mother read all my school notices. This time, she was looking at it long and hard. If the school wanted me to wear glasses, she will get them for me.

I hope that if I get my glasses, I’ll be smarter.

No comments: