Friday, March 10, 2006

Ronald Weasley's Diary-Chp 15

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: IT’S VERY USEFUL

Every time Math class starts, I always feel like sleeping.

Actually I felt the same way during English, French and Biology, but Math is the worst. Once Prof. Snape starts drawing circles and triangles on the blackboard, I’d start yawning. I tried to close my mouth and not let the yawn out. I tried to yawn in my throat. But Prof. Snape still saw that, and asked me to go wash my face.

Next time, I’m gonna try yawning in my stomach.

Prof. Snape always said, “What are you going to be when you grow up when you don’t even know how to recite the timetable?”

I would be scared and started reciting, “Want tutu, tutu for…” And then I forgot the rest.

I hate the timetable. They always start with ‘Want’. The more I recite, the more I ‘want’ to have a ham and egg sandwich.

Prof. Snape also said, “If you are bad in Mathematics, you will suffer for the rest of your life. You would be so bad that you cannot even count your own salaries, and it serves you right if you’re tricked to death.”

And his most famous words would be, “Mathematics is very useful in your life, understand?”
Everyone would nod and answer, “Yes, sir.”

Same goes for me.

Prof. Snape has been giving me tuition for quite some time now. I go to his office every recess to teach me. But every time I tried to repeat what Prof. Snape taught me, I would forget it immediately the next day during class.

I only remember him telling me to pretend eating biscuits. So during Math class I would imagine it to be a biscuit, a huge round butter cookie, because the one that Prof. Snape drew on the paper was round.

I don’t get with Math, ‘coz there is always no words to write on my textbook. Prof. Snape kept drawing circles, triangles and a lot of lines on the blackboard. I don’t know how to draw. I only know how to draw glasses and beards on people in the books.

I want to be a useful person, but I don’t even know Math. What am I to do?

“If the speed of A is twice the speed of B, and the speed of C is…” Prof. Snape drew three lines on the blackboard: one long, one short and one in the middle. He said the long line is A and the short one is C.

I don’t even know who is A and who is C. Are they people or are they animals? Why are their names only an alphabet? Don’t their parents give them a longer name like Hermione or Draco or Harry Scarface or even Ronald, like me? I didn’t dare to ask, because no one did.

From now on, besides eating biscuits, I have to find someone who only has A for a name. If I find him or her, I might be able to understand Math better.

Bloody hell! There is no one whose name is only A, or B and C for that matter. Mother said we couldn’t move either. What if they live somewhere else?

It made Math even the more boring.

Prof. Snape said again, “Mathematics is very useful in your life, understand?”

I said, “Yes, sir.”

But this time, Prof. Snape walked away from the blackboard and came towards me, saying, “Ronald Weasley, what use is your kind to the community?”

I didn’t know what to say.

He gave me a cold stare and said, “You are a waste of community resources.”

He went back to the blackboard, drew a lot of lines and wrote down a lot numbers. Then he picked up the glass on his table and was about to drink his tea when he frowned and muttered, “All finished?”

He then rapped the empty glass on the table and told me to go to the office to get some more tea, “Weasley, get me a warm one.”

Prof. Snape always drinks tea instead of water, so I ran to get some. Math is very useful, so if I missed a single thing, it would be a waste for me.

Although right now I don’t understand Math, but once I’ve found those with only A, B and C for names, I might just be able to understand it.

I poured a full glassful of tea, then ran all the way back to class.

No comments: