Thursday, March 16, 2006

Ronald Weasley's Diary-Chp 29

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: NUMBER ONE IN LOVE

Today Prof. McGonagall looked very happy. She was in all smiles even when she was talking.

She said, “Class, we are only a small step away from being the first in ‘Never-ending Gift of Love Donation’ among all the first years.”

So we clapped our hands.

A few days ago, Hermione started collecting ‘love-money’, and I gave her a dollar. Prof. McGonagall had said, “We have a lot of unfortunate people in our society who need our help, so everyone should save up their pocket money and do them a little charity.” And also at the same time, the ‘Never-ending Gift of Love Donation’ had a contest. The class with the most donations will receive a prize. The person who donated the most would also get a prize.

I went home to ask Mother for some money, so she gave me a dollar.

I gave my dollar to Hermione, and she said, “Only a dollar of love, Ronald? That’s too little.”

But I can’t help it if Mother only gave me a dollar of love.

Draco had a lot of love. He took out a five hundred dollar note from his pocket and said, “Five hundred dollars is nothing to me. A high-classed dinner in a eight-star hotel is worth more than five hundred dollars.”

Hermione exclaimed, “Wow! We’ve got almost more than a thousand!” Even Prof. McGonagall was smiling as she said, “Our class is definitely the class with the most love.”

I wanted to give more love, but Mother said she only had more than enough worry and no extra love to give.

The next day, Draco brought another five hundred dollars to school. He said, “I am the most compassionate person in class. Just thinking about those poor, unfortunate people still existing in this world with no food to eat makes me unable to stomach even my favourite smoked salmon.” So saying, he took out a hanky and pretended to wipe tears from his eyes.

Hermione scolded him, “Stop being so disgusting. Just hand over the money.”

“Hey, don’t forget. I donated the most, so be prepared with my prize,” Draco reminded as he gave the money to Hermione.

Harry Scarface suddenly said, “Draco should get the prize for this year’s Best Class Jester. What’s so great about having a little stinking money?”

“I’m sorry, but my money smells better than you think,” Draco walked over to Harry Scarface’s seat with his hands on his waist, then fiercely slapped his table and said, “Say that one more time if you got the guts.”

Harry Scarface looked up and glared at him, “The world has more important things than money, and it’s just too bad you don’t have it.”

Draco said, “What does that suppose to mean?”

Hermione came in between them and said angrily, “You boys start fighting again and I’m going to report it to the professor.”

Harry Scarface ignored Hermione and continued, “People like you would never get any prize.”

Draco glared real sharply at him and said, “We’ll just see about that.” So saying, he walked back to his seat.

The next day, Draco gave another one thousand dollars. Hermione counted the money in the box and told Prof. McGongall, “We have about four thousand six hundred and sixty dollars.”

Prof. McGonagall thought for a while, then took out some money from her wallet and said, “I’ll donate some money and make it a round sum.”

Soon our class became more and more with love. Prof. McGonagall said, “Now we’re a hundred dollars away from Ravenpuff.”

Just a little bit more and we’ll be the first in love among the entire first years. Hermione asked the class, “We are First Year-Slytherdor, and not only we are both cunning and courageous, we are also smart and loving, are we not?”

Everyone said, “Yes.”

I said it too.

Draco turned to me and said, “Hey, Weasley, you’re the one with the least donation of love. You have no right to be in the smart and loving Slytherdor.”

But I don’t know which class I should be with.

Hermione continued, “Let’s give out some more love tomorrow and the prize would be a no-brainer for this class.”

“Don’t waste your breath, sweetheart. I’ll donate another five hundred tomorrow,” Draco suddenly raised his hand as he said this.

In the end, our class did get the prize. Prof. McGonagall was happy and my classmates were happy. I was happy too. I clapped real hard, and I laughed.

Headmaster Dumbledore called out Draco’s name and he went up the stage to get his prize. Headmaster Dumbledore said, “I am so happy that every one of us can contribute so much love for the unfortunate. Like what they always said ‘A little kindness goes a long, long way’.”

I didn’t know why Headmaster Dumbledore meant about going ‘a long, long way’, but I’m sure Draco must’ve walked a lot and walked a ‘long, long way’ to get this prize. So I clapped and laughed for him.

But Harry Scarface didn’t clap.

No comments: