Monday, March 13, 2006

Ronald Weasley's Diary-Chp 21

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: RAINDROPS ARE FALLING ON MY HEAD

It was raining after school.

There was no rain this morning. The sun was high and bright, so I didn’t bring an umbrella. The others didn’t bring umbrellas either and we were all cramped at the corridor.

“Run for it!” Draco yelled and ran out of school with three more boys. They covered their heads with their bags and ran all the way to the school gate.

But soon they ran back from the school gate. Behind them was a man with bushy hair and beard—the first teacher I met when I first came to this school—following behind them with an umbrella. It was the Gamekeeper Hagrid.

Gamekeeper Hagrid was a huge, giant-like man who’s as fat as Santa Claus and his job was to scold people. He may look fierce and all that but the way he scolds people didn’t sound as fierce as he looks. But it was best to listen to him all the same, for when he became really angry, he’d knock the bloody socks out of you. Oh, and he talks in a very weird accent too, like he didn’t know how to speak English or something.

Gamekeeper Hagrid said, “Yer all gonna git wet if yer run home in dis heavy rain. Yer all yer parents’ wee lass an’ lads. If yer git a cold, yer parents ar’ gonna blame de school fer ain’t takin’ care o’ ye.”

Draco shook his wet bag and said, “Come on, Hagrid. They won’t say anything. A little rain won’t kill anyone.”

Gamekeeper Hagrid gave Draco a look, “Yer be’er not be daft, boy. Ev’rybody in de whole school knows yer daddy. Vice President o’ de PTA, ain’t he? He’s got more complainin’s den any udder parents. Ye stand ere real quiet an wait fer him tuh git yer an umbrelly.”

“Nosy busybody,” Draco muttered.

“I hears dat, boy. A lil’ concernin’s on ye an’ ye calls me nosy?” He then raised his umbrella and walked back out into the rain towards his security shed. He hadn’t walked a few steps when he turned around and said to Draco, “Ye kin give yer daddy a call fer ‘em to picks ye up if ye want.”

Hermione humph-ed and said to Draco, “Draco the little prince, Draco the little baby, you’d better not get wet or Headmaster Dumbledore is gonna be sore.”

She then said to others, “Draco is our little rich master, so he can’t get wet. Those who are poor, come with me!”

So saying, she put her bag on her head and ran out of the school. It’s very rare to see her break the school rules, and Harry Scarface and I thought it would be fun to run after her, but Harry Scarface can’t run. He still had that lung problem. So we moved aside and let the others run first. Every single one of our classmates had ran out of the school, leaving only Harry Scarface and I walking slowly in the rain.

When we reached the school gate, we saw the whole class standing at a roofed corner of the security shed getting scolded by Gamekeeper Hagrid. He was yelling, “Haven’ yer all bin listenin’ tuh wot I’ve says before? Yer git a cold runnin’ under dis heavy rain, an’ yer parents ar’ gonna git worried o’er ye.”

He pointed at Hermione and said, “An’ ye! Yer de head o’ class an yer leadin’ de class tuh git sick alongs wit ye!”

Draco looked up and pointed at me, “Sir, that weasel is also running under the rain along with that scarface!”

We quickly stopped walking and put down our bags.

Gamekeeper Hagrid gave us a look, frowned and said, “Hurry home, lads. Dinna stops at de roads.”
Draco shouted, “Not fair! How come they can go under the rain?”

Gamekeeper Hagrid barked back, “Why ar’ ye comparin’ wit Ronald Weasley? He’s already as dumb as kin be. A lil’ rain ain’t gonna do him any good.”

Harry Scarface and I walked out of the school as fast as we could. I can still hear Gamekeeper Hagrid scolding, “Ev’ry single hair an’ skin o’ yer body comes from yer parents. Harmin’ less, yer doin’ more rite fer ‘em. Have yer e’er thinks yer parents would be worried about yer? Wen yer parents sends yer tuh school, de school has de responsibility…”

I couldn’t hear the rest of his scolding. I wouldn’t understand them anyway.

I stopped using my bag to cover my head. There were books in there and I hate to get them wet. If they got wet I wouldn’t be able to copy words anymore.

There was a row of trees outside the school gates. As we walked under them, the raindrops were smaller and they fell lightly on my head.

Harry Scarface said, “Silly people really gets all the luck, don’t you think?”

I was really happy. I liked this kind of little rain. As they fell on my head, it felt a little ticklish and a little cool. We stepped on puddles and the water would squirt all over our faces. We laughed out loud. And that’s when Harry Scarface stopped and kissed me again, just like he did when we were in the toilet. I pushed him away lightly.

“Harry Scarface, why do you kiss me?”

Harry Scarface looked at me for a while, then smiled and said, “You don’t like it?”

Not that I didn’t like it. I just didn’t know why he did that.

“Because I’m your boyfriend.”

Boyfriend? Isn’t that only for boys and girls in love, like in TV?

Harry Scarface turned me to face him and said, “Look at me, Ron. I’m a boy, right?”

I nodded.

“And I’m your friend, right?”

I nodded.

“There you have it. Friends kiss too. Boys and girls sometimes kiss even when they are friends. Even boys do that as friends. Besides, you’re a boy and you’re my friend, so that’s why I kiss you,” he explained, then looked away and said, “But we cannot always kiss in the open, because people look down at smart people who kiss retards.”

I understood him this time. I’m a retard, and not many people like retards. I didn’t mind people not liking me, but I didn’t want people not to like Harry Scarface either. He’s smart and he should be liked. I like him too.

He looked at me again and smiled, saying, “Wanna kiss again?”

I nodded. He’s my boyfriend, and I’m his boyfriend, and I liked the way he kissed me. He came close to me and said, “This will be our little secret.”

I liked keeping secrets. They’re fun.

As the raindrops kept falling on our heads, Harry Scarface and I kissed.

No comments: