Friday, January 5, 2018

Train Boy Who Lived-Chp 3

CHAPTER 3: RIDE ON, TRAIN BOY!

I got a few voice mails today from him at work, but I wasn’t available to pick up the phone. Damn meetings! Why do they have to ruin my already ruined luck?

I look at the English teacups that are still on my bedside table. My chat friends are right. It’s now or never. Either I take the leap now or stand at the edge of the pool wondering forever how it feels like to be wet.

But before that…

I’m gonna call him now.

Twincest: Oh! Train Boy! You’re back!
HerbologyFreak: What the…? That’s a sudden!
QuibblerGirl: Welcome home, Train Boy!
Know-It-All: Finally! Atta-boy!
Moony: Ah, there you are.
PotionsMaster: It’s finally beginning, eh? Good luck, Train Boy.
Padfoot: Awesome, Train Boy! We’re right behind ya!

I dial the number and wait for it to connect. I can hear the ring one, and again it sounds almost like the heavy beating of my heart.

“Hello? Hello? Hello~?”

The cat almost got my tongue. I quickly find my voice back and speak up.

“Uh…Uh…Um, hi…Uh, hello…” God, I sound so spastic.

“Who is this?”

“T-T-T-This is t-t-the ‘Train Boy’. Y-You know, t-the guy in the subway? Y-Y-You’re the ‘Dragon Guy’, right? T-T-The one with the dragon logo daily planner?”

“Ah, it’s you! Dragon Guy, huh? Nice nickname you got me,” I hear his voice on the other line chuckling humorously. “You seemed to be busy all day today, and now you’re finally on.”

“Ah…ha ha, well, you just strike me as that…He he, your daily planner just screams you…Uh, s-sorry I kept missing your call, um, I, uh, I made you call so many times and I never picked up…Really sorry…”

“No, no, it’s OK. I mean, I’m at fault too. I mean, it’s my own bad timing, so I’m sorry too.”

I steal a look at the teacups and remember my reason to call.

“Oh right, I got your teacups yesterday. I didn’t think it would be that expensive a gift; you really gave me quite a shock. Thank you so much. Oh, and…uh, about what happened that day, I wanna apologize. I mean, I took all of you guys’ time and yet I ran off home first…”

“It’s no big. We left no later than you too. You know, we talked about you as soon as you were gone.”

“W-We…?”

“Yeah, the aunties and I. We all agree that you are quite the brave young man.”

“W…Well, not really. I really didn’t…Sorry, I…” I can feel myself blush like heck.

“They said if it weren’t for you, they don’t know what would have happened. Thank god you stood up for them and saved them.”

“Nah…I didn’t even know what the heck I was doing…Sorry for inconveniencing everybody…”

Dragon Guy is chuckling again on the other line. He just made me realize that I’ve been apologizing ever since I made the call.

“Time to take a shower, young man! It’s about time you wash yourself off that grit you got all day!”

A muffled woman’s voice comes in on the other line. Probably his mother.

“Hold up, Mother!” Dragon Guy calls back to her. Yup, I was right about the mother part. “I’m busy right now!”

“Um, it’s OK, really,” I reply him. “We can talk again later.”

“Oh, you don’t have to worry about that, seriously.”

“No, no, really. I mean, I’ve got nothing to do all day after work. I can wait.”

“Well…” he seems hesitant at first, but then sounds like he is finally OK with it, “alright them. Since I got your number in my call record now, I guess I’ll call you back later.”

“Alright. Well, I look forward to it…kinda…Bye.”

I hang up the phone and heave a sigh of relief. This feels even worse than running a marathon back in high school. Emotional fatigue sure is much more taxing than physical fatigue.

But then again…I’m actually calling a guy, and a guy I actually like…Even though it’s mostly apologizing but…I guess to really talk to someone in this level rather than avoiding people and trying to be invisible all throughout my childhood life…Didn’t think I’d actually made it…

I hope he’ll call me back again after his shower. The shower where water runs down on his hair, his fair, soft skin, the soap covering every inch of his body, the…

Hold up, it’s not the time for thinking crazy, horny stuff like this. Somebody needs to be updated here.

For the moment, everything’s alright. We just finished talking on the phone. My hands are still shaking though. He said he’ll call me back later.

Twincest: Woah! Far-out!
HerbologyFreak: That’s good!
Know-It-All: Great job, pal!
PotionsMaster: The next call is gonna decide your fate, young man. Choose your words wisely. Try asking him out for dinner. Say it’s for returning the favour of the teacups.

Ask him out? For dinner? N…No way…

I…I can’t say that…I mean, he gave them to me as a thank you gift. Now you’re asking me to thank him for a thank you gift, it’s…kinda weird…

Twincest: Of course not! It’s not weird at all!
QuibblerGirl: I agree. So put a bit more effort into it.
Padfoot: You could try saying it like “I wanna say thanks for the cups face to face” or “Is it OK if I thank for the gift in person?” You know, that sort of thing.

Hmm…He might be onto something here.

Seems OK enough to work.

Know-It-All: No, no, no! it’s a little bit to blunt trying to ask him out like that. You have to use food to lure him out!
But where should I take him for dinner?
PotionsMaster: We’ll figure that out later! Just ask him out first!
Padfoot: Maybe you could say something like “Sorry for letting you go all out for my gift like that, I feel kinda awkward accepting it as it is. So how’s about we go out and have dinner of sorts, showing my gratitude…” Well? How’s that?

That’s the single, most brilliant idea ever. I might just work on that.

Thanks, you guys! Going all out for one guy like me. So how’s Sunday sound?

Know-It-All: Sunday might be good, but remember, he might try to turn you down when you ask, so keep it together. Beg him till he says yes.
QuibblerGirl: Know-It-All is right. Even girls like us would feel a little out of sorts and say no.
Moony: I’ve had that experience before, but I was still vehemently turned down no matter how I begged… TT-TT
HerbologyFreak: Can you hold on, Train Boy?

They’re right. He might say something like “Oh, that’s not necessary, you shouldn’t have” or something like that. If he says that, wouldn’t that be the end? How am I supposed to hold on?

I turn to see the teacups again. I pick them up to study the intricate details of this posh silverware. He has gone all out for me for this. I can’t just let it go. They’re right. I should just give it a shot. Ask him out first. Even though chances are slim, I still need to take a chance. If I don’t take this golden opportunity I’ll never achieve happiness.

Although, I may think that, I lack in confidence. I’m really messed up right now, and I can’t do anything about it. Alright, fine, lemme just ask him out first and see what happens.

Twincest: Oh, Train Boy, you’re moving up. All grown up now, ain’t ya? Brings tears to our eyes, I’ll tell you that.
PotionsMaster: I wonder how long would it take for him to call. Right about now, hopefully.
Know-It-All: Ooh, I’m just getting all goose-pimply now!
Padfoot: I’ll go take a leak first…

My chat friends seems to be just as anxious as I am. I keep playing that dialogue the guy Padfoot suggested to me over and over again in my head. It feels almost like back in tenth grade when we had to study that major History test and I had to bloody memorize 12 chapters worth of information. Before I know it, the phone starts ringing. I pick up the phone and see the number ID on the screen.

He’s here!

The response from my chat friends are nothing short of ecstatic.

Twincest: Alright! The show’s starting now!
Know-It-All: I’ll pray for you, buddy!
QuibblerGirl: God, give strength to the old Train Boy Who Lived, please!!
Moony: Hope you can successfully let it all out!

I hope so too as I answer the call.

No comments: