Friday, January 5, 2018

Train Boy Who Lived-Chp 4

CHAPTER 4: OH BOY...

“He-Hello? Train Boy here.”

“Hey, how’s it hanging? Sorry I called you so late,” Dragon Guy’s voice is just as sweet as ever.

“No, no, it’s OK,” I scratch my chin. “You seem to shower pretty fast though.”

“Really? Technically this is usually the amount of time I take to shower, really.”

“Sorry,” I reply awkwardly. “I mean, I guess it’s my fault for making you rush for your shower…”

“There you go again. It’s alright, really,” Dragon Guy laughs at my apologetic mannerism again. “Actually I think I showered a little longer than before, coz I actually soaked in a warm tub. If it were summer, I’d be out in 10 minutes, now that’s what I call a fast shower.”

Quite the opposite of me a little though, or more like I take forever to shower ever since I moved out and finally have a place of my own.

“Oh yeah, about that day too, I need to thank you again for what you did for me.”

“No, no! Thank you, going all out to mail me a present—Ouch!!”

I bang my head against the table just now trying to pretend I was bowing at him. What a moron!
“Hello? Hello? You OK? What’s going on?”

“N-N-Nothing,” I laugh, nursing my head. “I’m fine, ha ha…”

“You know,” Dragon Guy’s voice seems to be smiling. “Those aunties were really grateful to you. Most people would just pretend they don’t see anything, and to be able to stand up against that snakey guy takes a lot of guts.”

“Naw,” I sigh. “Honestly speaking, I didn’t even know whether I was doing the right thing. If I left him alone, he probably would’ve stopped fussing on his own.”

“Don’t think that, Train Boy. You did a great thing! I was so happy about what you did that I told every friend and family member I met after that day.”

“You…You did?” I am shocked. Does that…Does that mean…I really have people looking up to me? Far-out!

I turn to look at the screen. The chats and suggestions we exchanged before he called is still there, glowering at me as if my chat friends are there in person, literally staring me down and making me do as I was told. I swallow nervously. This is it! It’s now or never!

“Hello? Hello, Train Boy?” his voice brings me back to reality.

“Oh, s-sorry, just a little distracted with m-my thoughts,” I fake a nonchalant tone against my nervous-as-hell face. “Um…Dragon Guy?”

“Yeah?”

“T-The teacups you gave me…must be really expensive, aren’t they?”

“Not really. Because of what I do, I got it cheap, actually.”

“T-T-This might sound w-w-weird b-b-but i-i-if it’s not t-t-too m-much of-f-for you, w-w-w-would ya…l-l-like tuh…um…”

Gah! Stop stuttering already, you asshole!!

“I’m sorry, what?” Dragon Guy sounds confused. Who could blame him?

“D-Dinner! How’s about dinner? Lemme treat you to dinner!”

There! I finally said it! God, that was a relief!

“You mean…dinner? Us? Together?”

“W-Well, don’t get me wrong,” I quickly explain, worrying that he might not be like me and get the wrong idea. “I mean, just as friends and all. And that is if you’re free…”

“Aww, you don’t have to,” Dragon Guy is laughing nervously. “I mean it’s really not that expensive as you think, seriously!”

Oh God…! Oh boy…! I knew it! I knew it! It’ll be too good to be true if he agrees there and then. Is this it? Is this really it?

“But…”

But? I light up as I get up from wallowing in self-pity on the floor.

“I might agree if we go Dutch.”

“G-Go Dutch?”

“Yeah,” Dragon Guy sounds like he’s grinning. “I wouldn’t want to impose on you, so how’s going Dutch sound?”

“R-R-R-Really? You’re really accepting m-m-my offer?!”

I feel like I wanna just drop down again and wallow in self-bliss this time.

“But only if you agree to go Dutch, or else.”

“Yes, yes, I agree! Most definitely!”

“So when would we meet up?”

“I’m free anytime!”

“How’s the weekend sound?”

“Great, great! That’ll be great! Weekend’s fine!”

I seem to answer him a little too quickly. My chat friends, if they can hear me, might think I’m being rather desperate here.

“So…where would you wanna eat?”

I freeze. Holy shit! I haven’t thought about that! What am I gonna bloody hell do?!

“Oh yeah, uh, right…Um…Uh, lemme think…” I stutter again as I type on the keyboard.

Dinner spot! Where?! SOS!!!

“Actually, I’m not that picky. I can eat anywhere,” Dragon Guy replies, sounding like he’s trying to help me.

“Oh, uh, really? OK…”

Hurry~! Help~!

Twincest: Hurrah!
Moony: Here it is!
QuibblerGirl: Far-out! He got him!
Padfoot: Just tell him you haven’t thought about it, buy yourself some time.
PotionsMaster: Not helping, people! Look, just ask him if he’s got anything that he likes or dislikes! Ask him what sort of stuff he likes to eat. Japanese? Italian? Chinese? French? Ask him if he likes his food strong or bland.

Good point.

“You got anything food in particular that you don’t like to eat, Dragon Guy?” I ask him while I scroll down for more pointers.

“Well, too much spicy food is not really my cup of tea,” he replies. Good. That narrows it down a little. At least we’re getting somewhere.

“Yeah, I can’t really take too spicy either. So what kind of stuff you like to eat then?”

While I talk and scroll, the chat friends seem to be almost in the world of their own, trying to help me out.

HerbologyFreak: Ooh, this is getting exciting!
Padfoot: Full frontal assault, baby!
QuibblerGirl: Finally he’s getting a love life!
Know-It-All: I admire your courage, Train Boy!
Twincest: Well, I think you could go to Rosmerta’s Delight. I heard it’s a great haunt for gay couples.
Know-It-All: As long as it’s not some stupid train sushi restaurant or some roadside café! If I were he, I’d pick Italian. That’s good! Nice and simple.
PotionsMaster: From the looks of it, I know you’re a girl to suggest this. The other party is a guy, for crying out loud. I say the Three Broomsticks Steak and Winehouse is the best.
QuibblerGirl: It’s just a first date. Don’t go picking bloody expensive restaurants.
HerbologyFreak: Don’t go around wasting time! If you’re a Honeydukes boy, then behave like a Honeydukes boy! Use your bloody PC research skills!
This is getting a little too much. I feel like a third person here.
Moony: Anywho, just tell you’ll come up with something and call him back when you’re ready!

Now we’re talking.

“Um, I’ll come up with some place and then I’ll call you when I’m ready.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Dragon Guy sounds OK with it.

“I’ll find some place where you don’t have to eat spicy stuff.”

“Ah ha ha, I’ll count on you then.”

God, I love the way he laughs.

“So, weekend, huh? How’s next week or the week after?”

“It’s fine with me.”

“I’ll call you ASAP.”

“I’ll be looking forward to it then.”

“Alright…um…Goodbye…”

Again, I slump in mental fatigue as I hang up the phone. I did it! I really did it! I actually am able to do it! I can’t believe it myself!

Time for an update, people.

I just finished talking. I managed to ask him out for dinner!

Know-It-All: Alright! Success!
Twincest: Atta boy!
QuibblerGirl: Congrats!! Congrats!!

They are genuinely happy for me. I feel so touched by their sincerity. I wipe tears of joy from my eyes.

Thanks, you guys.

No comments: