Sunday, March 11, 2018

I'm A Slave For You-Chp26

I'M A SLAVE FOR YOU
Albus woke up at the sound of Fawkes chirping the morning song. As his old eyes adjusted to the slight glare of the morning sun that seeped through his window, he remembered that this would be the day where Severus Snape would be embarking on his journey for his quest to get the dragon's eye to free his little pet Harry James Potter. Stretching his old bones and getting out of bed, he headed to the fireplace to make a firecall to Severus, only to receive a silent reply. Has he left before saying goodbye? The old man thought. That's not very usual of him to leave without at least having a last word with me.

His old magical gut instincts told him that he had to head to Harry's room. Without a moment's hesitation, he dressed in his usual work clothes before heading towards the boy's room, wishing 'Good morning' to Fawkes along the way. He knocked at first, but after hearing no reply and feeling the doorknob indicating that it was locked, he whispered an unlocking charm and entered quietly to see Harry and Severus sleeping in each other's arms. Smiling at the beautiful sight, he went in and tapped Severus lightly on the shoulder, waking the Potions Master.

"Good morning, Severus. I'm surprised to see you here."

"Oh, Albus…" Severus stirred, slowly waking up. Seeing the awkward situation he was in and remembering the taboo, he quickly explained, "Nothing happened, Albus. I promise you."

"It's quite alright, I understand," Albus smiled knowingly. "Well then, I suppose you should be going before the boy wakes up and have his usual crying fit. I swear this child always balk whenever he is with you."

Severus sighed. He didn't want to leave, but he knew he had a mission to do in order to secure his beloved's happiness. He slowly and gently got out of bed and pulled the covers over him.
"Watch over him, Albus. I'm counting on you."

"Naturally. Just be careful out there."

"I will," Severus replied, more towards the sleeping Harry than the old man as he slipped out of the bed and started putting on his shoes and outer robes.

"I've just contacted the Ministry last night and told them you're running 'a confidential errand' for me. They weren't too happy when I refused to disclose what was so 'confidential' about the errand you were running, but they at least respected my judgment that nothing but good will come out of this. They said they can try and persuade Horace Slughorn to get out of retirement and replace you for the moment."

"Good Lord, Albus, not him!" the Potions Master hissed quietly. He went out of Harry's room, Albus following behind him, and closed the door quietly before glaring down at the old man. "He grades students based on popularity, not based on work. You know that he is all about the glorious old days and whose students' parents he used to teach that had 'wonderfully flourished' in the wizarding world. He wouldn't even give anyone that had no connections with him a second glance, let alone give a fair marking for everyone. Even I know how and when to give marks for those deserving, even if he/she is the most unpopular student in the entire Hogwarts."

"I agree, but he is the best teacher who can teach just as good a Potions Class as you that they can find. Unless you have other candidates, I'd be happy to recommend the Ministry."

"Fine, fine," Severus sighed and massaged the bridge of his nose between his eyes. He wasn't the type to brag, but he had to say that he was the best Potions Master in Britain; no one was going to be as good as he was. No one else came close.

"Do you want me to help you with the packing for your journey?" Albus asked.

"I was just going to take the clothes on my back, maybe some food and a couple of potions for precautionary or medical purposes."

"I'd suggest you bring more clothes where you're going, maybe something that can enable you to trek or hike, and some money as well. And since there is high chance you might be wandering around in the Muggle world to get where you're going, you should consider packing in some Muggle clothes as well."

Severus wanted to roll his eyes but decided against it. It would only cause Albus to pester him more, and by the time he was done, he'd probably make him carry more than he could handle.

"Fine, I'll keep that in mind."

"I guess I'll leave it to you then. Can't send you off coz I need to meet up with Horace to discuss matters. I hope you have a safe journey and succeed in your quest," Albus said as he held out his hand to shake.

"I will be," Severus nodded, shaking the older man's hand before leaving the office to make his preparation for his quest.

As Albus watched Severus leave his office, he muttered to himself, "I hope you'll make it out alive, regardless if you succeed or not, for Harry's sake."

--:--

"Master Snape, you can't be serious!"

The Head Housekeeper was looking disapprovingly as Severus ordered Neville and Colin to help him with his packing while he scanned through books for his research and reference and copied them all down onto his parchment.

"Yes, Greta. I am serious. No matter what you say will never move me from my decision."

"But…But you would be missing out work and…and we would have no one to man the house," the Head Housekeeper tried in vain to come up with an excuse not to let him go. After all, she had probably practically raised him ever since he inherited the manor. "What will we do without you, Master Snape? Surely you cannot leave us alone to watch over this house with no one to serve. Besides, you said that you might end up losing your life. Who will we turn to then?"

"Harry will take over the ownership of everything in this manor, including you all. He will be your Master as soon as he had come of age. If possible, I'd like the rest of his life to be raised in this house among familiar people like you."

"What? But…But that's preposterous! We can't serve anyone else, certainly not the boy. You are our one and only Master…"

"And you will follow my orders to the letter, if you truly speak of serving me," Severus said sternly as he passed the parchment to Colin to be included in his bag. "Albus Dumbledore will be his legal guardian until he comes of age to inherit this house as stated in my will. Everything has already been set and arranged."

"You…You truly love that child so much to forsake your fortune to him?" the Head Housekeeper asked in defeat, knowing that she couldn't persuade her Master any further.

"More than my own life, Greta, and don't tell me you do not share the same liking I do towards Harry. I've seen you occasionally lost and sometimes unconsciously look around as if trying to see if the boy is there. Do you deny it?"

The Head Housekeeper smiled ever so slightly and sighed quietly, "No, I do not deny it. Things aren't really the same without that boy around. Even Moss wants him back just for someone to scold at."

"He sure looks lonely in the garden since Harry had left," Severus replied, remembering the last time he saw the Head gardener moping about dejectedly and actually trimmed off more than he should on the hedges, then screaming at Neville demanding him to admit that he was the one who over-trimmed the hedges when it was otherwise.

"All done, Master," Neville and Colin said simultaneously as they gave Severus his travel bag.

"Thank you, Longbottom, Creevey," Severus said, magicking the Muggle clothes on him and slinging the bag over his shoulders. "I shall be going now."

"Do return safely, Master, for the boy's sake," the Head Housekeeper said as she sent him out.

"No promises, Greta, no promises."

--:--

Severus was soon trekking down the Muggle roads of Germany after apparating into this part of the European country from Hogsmeade on his quest to Romania to get what he wanted. According to books on dragons that he had copied down in his parchment before he set off on his journey, most of the dragons nowadays are close to dying due to the over-slaying back during the age of King Arthur to prove manhood and knighthood among those adrenaline junkie knights. They were now kept in a federal wizarding reserve somewhere in Romania and usually are taken out of captivity whenever the school needed them for their Triwizard Tournaments, and all Severus had to do was go all the way to Romania and maybe persuade the men there to allow him to collect whatever he needed. As he walked on, he began to reminiscence the final hours he had with his beloved green-eyed boy when he heard his name being called in a very thick Scottish accent.

"Oy, S'vrus!"

Severus spun round to see Rubeus Hagrid, the huge half-giant running after him about 10 feet behind. He groaned inwardly. He didn't need to be a genius to know that the huge mountain of fur was sent by the worried wart Albus Dumbledore. His mind was thinking of ways to flay Albus in the most painful way possible as Hagrid's thundering footsteps followed after him, ignoring the shocked stares of the Muggles at Hagrid's size.

"What do you want, Hagrid?" Severus grumbled.

"Nothin'. Just tho' I tag along wi' yer."

"No, go back," Severus replied vehemently, quickening his footsteps to distance himself from him, in which the half-giant caught up quickly.

"Nuh-uh. Canna' do tha'. I got me orders tuh foller ya 'round."

I am going to boil that old coot in oil, Severus growled inwardly as he stopped running away from Hagrid, sighing. "You can still say you did and just go somewhere else."

"Nope. No can do, S'vrus. Dumble would know."

Severus massaged his temples. He hated it when people are right, especially when that person is the half-witted half-giant who was all brawn and no brain. He let out a loud sigh before saying, "Gods of Merlin, I really hate my life now. Well, since I can't persuade you otherwise, you might as well keep up with me. I will not let you slow me down."

"A'righ'," Hagrid replied, following happily behind Severus, making the Potions Master felt as if a dark cloud was over him. The situation was not made any brighter with the fact that more and more curious Muggles that they passed by were eyeing them with awe and shock, more towards Hagrid's out-worldly appearance than Severus' pale, ice-cold demeanour, and that Hagrid seemed delighted to have all the attention as he waved gleefully at anyone who cast their gaze at him more than they should.

While Severus considered whether to try and lose the half-giant or leave early in the morning when he was asleep, Hagrid decided to engage conversation with him a little.

"Dumble sez he gits replacement fer me. Dinna know who, but I hopes he or she will take good care ol' Buckbeak."

Severus rolled his eyes. He couldn't care less. Personally, he thought that the Care for Magical Creatures subject was just a plain waste of time.

"I hears of wat yer doin' in dis quest. Is fer dat 'Arry boy, aye?"

"Yes," Severus replied angrily, his patience tested as he felt Hagrid was probing too far into his private business.

"Dumble tol' me. He sez tha' boy actually belonged tuh ye, an ye wanna get sumthin' tuh free 'im. I admire ye fer tha'. It's such a touchin' thin' tuh do. Ye reli luv tha' boy, aye, S'vrus?"

"It's none of your business, but yes, I do."

"I hears also tha' thin' yer doin' is gonna cost ye yer life?"

"It could."

"Wha' would tha' boy think if yer gonna die n leave 'im alone?"

"He would be free from slavery. When he turned 17, he would be very wealthy. I've got everything covered."

"An if tha' Min'stry ain't lettin' 'im git it?"

"I have no other relatives, so they will have to pass it down to Harry just as stated in my will."

"Yes, but wat if…wat if tha' Min'stry dinna care? Wat if tha' Min'stry…?"

"Shut up, you big oaf," Severus snapped as he gave him his famous cold glare. "I have enough to think about at the moment, like how to get to Romania, so I would appreciate it if you would just leave me alone to my thoughts!"

"Sorry…" Hagrid apologized, feeling a little upset that Severus wouldn't want to even engage a little friendly conversation with him.

The duo traveled in silence for the moment. After about 3 hours of walking (with breaks in between and ignoring more shocked stares from the Muggles), their stomach decided that it was time they settled down for lunch. They went into a cheap diner café and ordered themselves some lunch before staring at each other in uncomfortable silence, twirling their silverware for no particular reason. Needless to say, they made a rather grand entrance as Hagrid's looks were far more than inviting for those who would dare to spare another glance or two, even setting off some hushed gossips among the ladies in the café. Finally Hagrid decided to break the ice.

"Ye know why I canna leave ye? Why I truly canna leave ye?"

Severus felt that this statement sounded kinda wrong, especially when the Muggles hear it, and the last thing he wanted was those nosy busybodies to listen into their conversation, so he cast Muffliato around their surroundings before replying, "Do tell."

"Dumble made me…made me tuh tha' Unbr'kable Vow," Hagrid replied, twiddling his thumbs.

"Figures," Severus replied, not the least bit surprised. He knew exactly how the old man can bend people's will and make people do things he wished them to do without even as much as lifting a finger.

"So ye askin' me tuh go summat n lie tuh Dumble, yer askin' me tuh die. I canna do tha'. I'm too young tuh die."

Not a bad idea, considering how you have come close to making me strangle you myself, Severus thought inwardly, then voiced out, "Thank you for telling me. Now I have two reasons to kill the old coot."

"Ye not gonna reli harm ol' Dumble, are ye? He only wan ye tuh be safe. We all know yer 'is fav'rit teacher an all…"

"You need to learn when someone is telling the truth or when they are being sarcastic," Severus sighed as the waitress finally brought in their order: Severus a semi-well done steak and cream of mushroom soup and Hagrid double helpings of an in-house set lunch. "By the way, you're paying your own food. I'm not about to go Dutch for you."

"Oh," Hagrid got the point of his former statement about sarcasm, then grinned, " Righ'. Dinna worry. Dumble gave me plenty cash tuh spend. So…wat's yer gonna git tuh release tha' boy?"

"A Norwegian Ridgeback's eye," Severus replied casually, sipping his soup.

"Norwegian Ridgeback? Dat's my little Norbeta's kind!" Hagrid exclaimed as he popped a cherry tomato into his mouth, taking care not to stain his beard.

"That dragon you have years ago?" Severus raised a brow.

"Yup. Tha' one," Hagrid nodded. "Why wou' tha' bloody slaver guy wanna hav' wit an eye from such pretty lil' thin'?"

"I didn't ask and I don't want to know. If that's what they want in exchange for Harry's freedom, I am going to get it, and that's all I care about right now."

"So how're we gunna git tuh Romania? How're we gunna find one neways? Dragons ar' almost a dyin' breed."

"I know. That's what I'm trying to figure out," Severus sighed. "There is a small reserve out there, the problem is after we find one, how to get the eye. The trainers out there will not let me just take an eye and leave."

"Then we'll jus' hafta try our luck then," Hagrid replied. "We'll figger out how tuh git tuh Romania first, then we gunna think 'bout hows we gunna make 'em trainers give us tha' eye. Imma sure they is gunna hav' summat a way tuh git tuh tha'."

"I suppose so."

The rest of the lunch was filled with a one-sided conversation from Hagrid's part about his "glorious days" having Norberta for a pet, and Severus' mind wandering towards his thoughts of Harry while he was gone.

No comments: